Saturday, November 22, 2008

Is Romance Dead?


There is a passage in my current favorite book, Faithfull by Marianne Faithfull, that had me pondering that sentiment.

She talks of a man known as "Stash". "One night Stash climbed up the wisteria on the front of the house to the balcony of Cheyne Walk. He got into the house and came up to my bedroom making a grand entrance in his cape. Well, that deserves a fuck, I thought. It was terribly dangerous."

The thought of that strikes the romantic in me, and makes me swoon as well. Now, I don't have any wisteria climbing up the walls to my bedroom for young suitors to climb, but still! Where are these terribly romantic gestures nowadays? Everyone just goes to the bar to feed some lines to whatever seemingly enthusiastic candidate there is in hopes to bring them home for some awful drunken sex and then an awkward morning.

I want to bring back anonymous love letters- written by hand! Dropping perfumed handkerchiefs in the line of men! Throwing small pebbles at your love interest's window in the darkness of night! Clandestine meetings in parks!

I think it would make life so much more thrilling. We could all use a good dose of thrill, am I right?

(pic from phillyist.com)

No comments: