Monday, May 12, 2008

it came from the sea





images from wikipedia, discovermagazine.com & manandmollusc.net

It must've been the night of watching ROGUE NATURE with Christina a few weeks ago that rekindled my love with all weird and bizarre creatures of the deep. Like a lot of elementary school age kids, I went through that phase of wanting to be some sort of marine biologist but I was totally not in the pretty-happy dolphin/whale camp. I wanted to study the real bizarre stuff- the weirder the better!

That particular episode was all about really aggressive squids- the Humboldt aka DIABLO ROJO. So badass. The guy actually got into a chainlink suit to float down with a whole pack of em during feeding time and they went nuts on him. Of course, being a suz, after the show was over I immediately got on my mac and proceeded to google the hell outta those babies. Humboldt squid lead to colossol squid ( many sperm whales bear scars from those dudes) which led to just sea life in general. Now I am getting a distinct memory of having some computer game way back when involving the ocean and always being pissed that I got some 'sea squirt' or 'sea cucumber' or whatever....but I can't for the life of me recall much more than that. It's gonna keep me up tonight, seriously.......

Back to deep sea creatures. I think it's so curious that life can be sustained so far below sea level. It's like a totally different planet down there- no light, extreme cold, not a lot of food. People are always so curious about different planets, but what about the stuff going on right down here?? This is probably why I always get a little anxious whenever I find myself on a boat....you just don't know what's down there. And I always envision the boat capsizing dramatically or something terrible like that happening.

No comments: